Reswitched Weekly 7
Hello and welcome to Reswitched Weekly, a weekly summary of the progress made by the reswitched team and wider community around homebrew development for the Nintendo Switch.
This week, not a whole lot has happened. Lots of work going on behind the scenes, while everyone is waiting for nvace.
What people are working on
- @vgmoose finished his Space Game port for the switch. Check it out.
- Lots of people are hard at work trying to make various RetroArch emulator cores work with libtransistor.
- @3Daniel is working on setting up Doxygen documentation.
- @kgsws is working on his multiplayer doom port.
- @roblabla is busy trying to find a way to get backtraces to debug his numerous crashes.
What happened in the broader community
- @GovanifY implemented the ldr:ro crash (first revealed in 34C3) in pegaswitch. It allowing dumping the sysmodules’ code ! He wrote an easy-to-read writeup of the vulnerability, check it out ! And here’s the associated Pull Request for pegaswitch. (Note that it’s for 2.0.0-consoles only right now, but it could be extended to any version < 3.0.0).
Call for participation
Lots of things could be implemented properly into libtransistor/newlib without much more reverse-engineering. If you’re a developer and want to give a hand, make sure to hop on Discord so we can coordinate work. Also, if you feel like you need mentoring notes on some of those tasks, feel free to ping @roblabla on discord, I can write up what needs to be done, and guide you through the process :
- Joystick support in SDL2 !
- Implementing more services into libtransistor. We’re lacking a bunch of things like USB support and whatnot.
- Thread Local Storage, by implementing emutls.
- Port apps and libraries. Make sure they work ! We have graphics and audio, the sky is the limit !